Monday, January 19, 2009

Rule Number One

So I am roughly a week away from no longer pursuing my blatant self interest for a year, I thought it best to lay out a few of the guidelines on both the council of good and evil. That way we're all on the same page and I can use my own sick vernacular and those who follow will understand with flawless comprehension.

There are many good people in my life...

These people have loaned me money, trusted me with their secrets, and relied upon me for favors. These people are at times flaky; something about having the best intentions seems to make these folks believe they're immune to showing up on time. They know they'd forgive me for being late or bailing out, so surely I will do the same, right? However, they possess a unique and special connection to whatever is closest to the rebel alliance.

Let me say more about that

In Star Wars, the allied force that fights against the tyranny of the Galactic Empire are in fact REBELS. Why do you think this is? I think the answer surrounds us. If evil hasn't yet claimed victory, it must surely think it is inevitable. If one were to build a model in which everyone goes out for the strict and exclusive purpose of getting theirs, they would find a picture very similar to the life that we experience. How do I know? I majored in economics, and the basis for economics is that the individual AT ALL TIMES pursues their own self interest. Does this mean that we naturally go after our own and that makes us evil? Maybe. Greed is one of the seven deadly sins, as is gluttony, pride, avarice, lust and others. I haven't seen 'Seven' in a while. Anyway, all of the seven deadly sins roughly revolve around getting yours and letting others know that you're good at it.

So what does this have to do with Star Wars?

You see, the 'good guys' are all dedicated to morality, therefore, they are Rebels, because to commit yourself to doing what's right automatically and fundamentally defines you in the minority. One who does right is a rebel b/c they are fighting against our established system of economic efficiency.

There are bad people in my life...

These people have left me in difficult situations, backed me up on most of my stupidest ideas, given me the knowledge and advice on how to carry out varying levels of crime and vice, and helped me take revenge on my sworn enemies. I love these people just as well, b/c I don't have to convince them that I'm trying to do right, I just have to explain my goal and my situation and their wisdom and support follow without question.

It's a strange paradox, b/c the good people in my life want the best for me, but rarely are willing to step in to aid in my success. The bad people in my life are uncaring about my better intentions, but are always willing to help me get mine as long as I am willing to help them get theirs.

That's loyalty and it's worth more than gold.

So, that being said, why have two councils? Why not let people be themselves and react and utilize accordingly? Or, if the evil council is so loyal and the good council so flaky, why keep the good ones? Well, you see, those on the council of evil are shisty at times. They are after their own, and at best are disinterested helpers in your cause. The Council of Evil all own protractors and are constantly looking at all the angles, trying to size up how to get what they need. If they can't and their true, they'll sometimes still help, but make no mistake, their help is never free and always conditional. The council of Good offers nothing in return b/c the expect nothing in return. They don't believe in exploiting oppertunites at the expense of their loved ones, therefore, their advice is highly valuable b/c it is geared towards honesty and compassion.

A long and important blog entry to understand rule #1

The Council of Good is about 'why' questions

The Council of Evil is about 'how' questions.

Unsure of what to do and need help deciding something important? Ask the rightous people in your life.

Already decided to do what's wrong, and need help figuring out what will get you what you want? Ask the morally flexible friends in your phonebook.

Just never confuse the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment